Tuesday 5 November 2013

Sensory overload.

I'm working on a post about autism but I want to write about sensory overload now as I suffered from it during therapy yesterday afternoon and want to write about it while it's still fresh in my mind.

 Therapy started off well but I was a bit out of it. I didn't think too much of it and put it down to being tired from the Katatonia, Lacuna Coil and Paradise Lost show on Sunday and carried on as normal.

Towards the end of the session, it got too difficult for me. I couldn't take in any information whatsoever (sensory input) anymore. I ran out, locked myself in the toilet and broke down crying. My therapist attempted to check up on me but I told her to go away. She got one of her colleagues to no avail. I didn't want to hear anything. Their voices were like chalk on a chalkboard. I simply couldn't handle it.

I was so exhausted I fell asleep for a couple of hours when I got home. I woke up with a slightly clearer mind and decided not to go next week. I phoned my therapist to tell her I won't be there and she completely understood. She's cancelled our appointment next week and therapy will resume the week after.

This isn't something I wish on anyone. It's absolutely terrifying when it happens.

If you want to get an idea of what it's like, read about it at this link and watch the video.

2 comments:

  1. *hugs* I want to thank you for sharing what is happening to you. It's very brave of you to do that. I hope you this can stop so you feel better about life, yourself. I'm some clicks away if you want to talk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *hugs back* Thank you so much for your lovely comment. It means a lot to me. <3 x

      Delete